Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company operates a live-in program for those individuals seeking a unique experience. In exchange for a low expense place to live ($100/month), live-in firefighters provide needed staffing for emergency incidents, cleaning and maintenance duties around the station, assistance with fire prevention activities, and assistance with fundraising activities. While living at Station 56-C, live-in members have access to:
- A Private Bunk Room
- Wireless Internet
- Cable Television
- Kitchen Space
- Lounge Area
As with all members, live-in members are issued all required personal protective equipment, including structural firefighting coat, pants, boots, gloves, and helmet, Nomex hood, and safety glasses. The Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company places a large emphasis on training and encourages all members to pursue advanced classes, which the department will pay for entirely.
Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company is conveniently located within driving distance of several area colleges and universities including:
- Villanova University - 6.5 miles
- Montgomery County Community College - 7.9 miles
- Saint Joes University - 10 miles
- Harcum and Haverford College - 7 miles
- Cabrini and Eastern University - 5.5 miles
- Norristown Septa Train Line - 1.6 miles (This will take you into Philly near Temple, Drexel, and other city-based colleges/universities)
- Free Training within Approval
- Issued PPE
- TV and Lounge Area
- High-Speed Wifi
- Kitchen and Full-Size Refrigerator/Freezer
- Washer and Dryer
- Close to many Restaurants, Stores, and King of Prussia Mall
- Stipend Program (As long as you qualify)
Requirements and Expectations:
- Any person wishing to become a live-in member must be at least 18 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Any person wishing to become a live-in member must be certified (up to date) with the following:
- US Citizen
- Fire Fighter I
- Hazmat Operations
- Basic Vehicle Rescue Technician (or ability to obtain)
- First Aid & CPR
- ICS 100, 200, 700 & 800
- Additionally, we prefer for the applicant to be certified (up to date) with the following:
- Water Rescue Emergency Responder
- Emergency Vehicle Operators Course
- Pump I
- Emergency Medical Responder
- Members will be responsible for their food
- Members will be responsible for their own linen and towels
- Any person wishing to become a live-in member must apply for membership in accordance with the department's membership application process and be approved by the rest of the department's members.
- Live-In members are expected to respond to all dispatched calls within 1 (one) hours of class/work and participate in all company training and events, as able and available.
- Live-In Members are not permitted to take up permanent or legal residence at the station.
- All student live-in members are required to maintain a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average (C average). All non-student live-in members must be employed a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- All live-in members are expected to spend a minimum of 4 consecutive nights each week, from Sunday to Friday, as well as two (2) full weekends (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) each month.
- We would prefer Live-in members to move in within 1-2 weeks prior to the start of class or work.
- This time will be spent familiarizing the member with others in the company, Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company area, and the fire company in general.
- Station 56-C will have positions for either male or female members.
- Swedesburg Volunteer Fire Company is a mix of Residential, Multi-Residential, and a few Commercial structures. Additionally, SVFC covers a section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Route 202. Along with this the company also covers a section of the Schuylkill River. This area accounts for approximately 400 calls per year)
- SVFC provides mutual aid to Norristown Borough, Bridgeport Borough, Conshohocken Borough, Lower Merion Township, Upper Merion Township, and Plymouth Township.
If interested or have any questions please contact: LiveIn@swedesburgfire.com